Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Thu Aug 1, 2002  5:02 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: New sacred solos for mezzos

I'm a little surprised at the suggestion that "O Divine Redeemer" would
be considered a mezzo solo as I've always thought of it more as a piece
for a dramatic soprano. Of course, I haven't seen an actual copy of "The
Redemption" full score. There is leap up to the high A that happens on
several occasions with really no good spot for more than a catch breath
before it unless you go back 2-3 measures & can keep the breath moving.
I've sung this AND Bernstein's "Simple Song" AND the Hovannes "Out of the
Depths".

Curious...

Pat

PS Craig Courtney writes very well in a contemporary style without being
considered CCM & the late John Ness Beck wrote some pieces that work much
better as solos vs. choir settings. Nice stuff for a worship service but
I don't think, however, that I'd consider either of their work "art
songs", even in spite of the fact that Mr. Courtney was commissioned to
write an opera a few years ago.

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:33:37 -0400 (EDT) Karen Mercedes
<dalila@R...> writes:
> I've been collecting a lot of sacred "art songs" over the past few
> years,
> and will mention some of my favourites:

(snip)

> Gounod: Repentir (O Divine Redeemer) - particularly effective when
> done
> with both piano and organ obbligato (the Schirmer sheet music
> includes the organ
> part). Le Calvaire (There is a green hill far away) is somewhat
> less
> musically inspired, but has been well received whenever I've sung
> it.

(snip)

> John Ness Beck: "Lord, here am I"

(snip)