Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sharon Szymanski" <szy@n...>
Date:  Wed Jul 31, 2002  7:52 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] New sacred solos for mezzos

Norma wrote:
(There is a book called 52 Sacred Songs ( you like to sing ). Perhaps
you may find some songs in that book.)

This is indeed a standard for sacred repertoire, but it mostly includes
what I would consider "old chestnuts", i.e., songs that have been around
for ages (I used it in the 60's as a teenager and it was old then!) Good
book to have, but not sure it will offer new and different ideas.

I have recently been wrestling with the same need; after many years of
doing non-sacred performing (except oratorio), I have recently been
doing more church gigs for extra money. I went through my voluminous
folder of sacred rep and said, "ugh!" Boring, old-fashioned, antiquated
texts, etc. I don't resonate with the "contemporary Christian" scene
either, so I think this thread is a great opportunity for those of us
with the need to rejuvenate our sacred repertoire.

Here are a few I dug up:
1.The anthology "Sing Solo Sacred", ed. Neil Jenkins, Oxford U. Press
has a nice offering of classical tunes, some of which were new to me,
some with new words.
2. "A Simple Song" from Bernstein's "Mass" - good for mezzo, low
sop., or baritone
3. Ned Rorem's sacred songs - I have Psalm 150 and Allelujah (there
might be others, not sure about keys, mine are high)
4. Dvorak's sacred songs
5. Eternal Life by Olive Dungan, arr. By Fred Bock, John Church Co.
Pub.
6. Sacred Solos by Craig Courtney, Beckenhorst Press, Inc.
7. Vaughn Williams - 5 Mystical Songs, Masters Music
8. Sacred Songs and Hymn Settings by John Ness Beck, TIS has these

Hope this is of some help!
Sharon Szymanski

PS - Karen, we await your list with bated breath!!!

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19780 Re: New sacred solos for mezzosLee Morgan   Wed  7/31/2002
19782 Re: New sacred solos for mezzosKaren Mercedes   Thu  8/1/2002
19785 Re: New sacred solos for mezzosSharon Szymanski   Thu  8/1/2002
19790 Re: New sacred solos for mezzosLee Morgan   Fri  8/2/2002
19791 Re: New sacred solos for mezzossnide76258   Sat  8/3/2002

emusic.com