Vocalist.org archive

From:  "snide76258" <snide76258@y...>
Date:  Wed Jul 31, 2002  2:30 pm
Subject:  Re: New sacred solos for mezzos

Well, I'm a baritone, but a lot of things I have done would work for
you. I did an entire program of "Sacred" art songs which included the
following:

Purcell: An Evening Hymn

Brahms: Vier Ernste Gesange

Honegger: Trois Psaumes

Floyd: Pilgrimage

Arr. Zaninelli: His Eye is on the Sparrow and Old Time Religion

Arr. Copland: Zion's Walls, Ching-a-ring Chaw

(encore) arr. Ives: Give me Jesus

Although the Brahms and Floyd are in Bass clef, they could be done by
mezzos. (The Brahms is done by mezzos rather frequently.)

I would also STRONGLY recommend the "Seven Songs from Pilgrim's
Progress" by Vaughan Williams. (Available from Oxford U Press as
volume 3 of the Vaughan Williams songs.) "The Bird's Song" is a
setting of Psalm 23, and is fabulous for mezzo. (It is for soprano in
the stage version, but transposed down for the song cycle.)

Good luck!

emusic.com