Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Date:  Fri Jul 26, 2002  3:47 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Registers and vocal fold function

Lloyd,

I agree with your explanations, but find that this is not the norm with many
voice teachers. Typically, they avoid taking the chest voice much higher than
an e above middle c, and move toward a "headier" production much sooner, thus
deactivating much use of the vocalis muscle itself.

Since this seems to be such a norm, I've found that those teachers who
encourage a longer use of chest voice and a more gradual blending from chest
to head voice, are often misunderstood and even ostracized by the more "head"
predominant group.

Unfortunately, the assumptions are often made on misinformation or
miseducation about vocal production.

Mary Beth Felker

emusic.com