Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Date:  Sun Jul 21, 2002  7:00 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Use of Chest Voice (WAS re: classical training)

In a message dated 7/19/2002 7:18:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> Vowel selection and "vowel purity" have always been a major concern in
> traditional voice teaching, not so much because such "purity" is needed for
> language understanding, but rather because such vowel concerns provide the
> purity of tone which is the hallmark of all great voices and such vowel
> concerns develop a voice that is more efficient and more capable of meeting
> the demands required in the performance of classic vocal music."

Wouldn't it be a short stretch to also assume, that the choice of vowels
would either dampen or enhance certain formants. When we use vowels that
encourage a certain range of formants we are allowing the acoustical
properties of that sound to provide the illusion of amplification, without
having to overdrive the vocal folds with excess air. Basically, if my guess
is right, more bang for the buck. Also, if a certain set of vowels encourage
a more efficient vibratory pattern in the vocal folds, we are not forced to
work as hard to produce a sound, thus minimizing the fatiguing, or injurious,
aspects of singing.
In a sense, this sounds like what car engineers work to produce. They want an
engine that gets the best fuel economy, while still producing as much
horsepower as possible.
Therefore, at the rudimentary level, all singing styles come down to
vocalizing a combination of sounds, learning what vowels and consonants
maximize the efficiency of the vocal folds would be relevent in all
situations. Different styles demand stronger emphasis in different areas, but
using the voice efficiently may enable the singer to make these stylistic
choices in a less injurious manner.
In conclusion, teaching from this base of knowledge helps to eliminate the
age-old argument of what style is best or worse for the singer. (implying
that one might teach vocal technique in a different manner for different
styles) If we teach technique based on current knowledge of how the voice
works most efficiently, style then is added on top of the technique and
becomes an educated choice of expression.

Just my two cents worth,
Mary Beth Felker
SLS associate

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19722 Professional Opera Singer Listmgrubor@u...   Sun  7/21/2002
19723 Re: Professional Opera Singer Listsnide76258   Mon  7/22/2002
19725 Re: Use of Chest Voice (WAS re: classical traininReg Boyle   Mon  7/22/2002

emusic.com