Vocalist.org archive

From:  john schweinfurth <voicemd@e...>
Date:  Tue May 30, 2000  3:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] voice problem

On Sat, 27 May 2000 17:08:13 -0400, vocalist-temporary@egroups.com wrote:

> Hi, Annelies,
>
> I hope one of the wonderful MD's on this list will weigh in on your
> question, but I'm a little concerned by some of what you wrote. Why did
> your doctor tell you that the "protruberance" had been there a long time?
> Could it be a nodule that he could clearly see was really calloused over?
> In which case it's more serious than a "new" node, which can go away on
its
> own with vocal rest. In any case, why did he say it was ok to sing on
it?
> If these symptoms you experience in singing are new to you, only a few
> weeks, the "protruberance" couldn't have been there all that long, it
seems
> to me, if it is the cause. And singing on it, if it is a nodule, is NOT
> good idea. I don't want to alarm you; I'm not a doctor, I'm just writing
> what I have come to understand over the course of my singing career.
>
> If this is a node, taking steroids will only reduce any swelling in the
> vocal folds, but singing while on steroids is very risky; professional
> singers only do it when absolutely necessary, and then only once or twice
in
> a career. There are vocal and other side effects; I really hope you find
> another doctor for a second opinion. I'm with Naomi - try to postpone
your
> exam and find a doctor who knows about singers and singing before you
sing
> another note.

Ann,

I tend to agree with Susan. What you have is likely to be a vocal "cyst"
which is different from a nodule and much more serious for the future of
your singing. Nodules tend to cause some raspiness in the speaking voice
but less commonly affect singing. People with cysts have almost normal
speaking voices but decreased ranges, and get fatigued easily because they
have to work harder to get good closure. Nodules can be "cured" with speech
therapy and modified voice use; cysts usually require surgery or a severe
decrease in voice use. Singing with a cyst can lead to scarring which is
essentially irreversible.

John M. Schweinfurth, MD
Laryngology and Professional Voice Care
Assistant Professor