Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Sat Jul 20, 2002  9:12 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Use of Chest Voice (WAS re: classical training)

In a message dated 7/19/2002 10:17:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> This concept of "inertance" implies that the actual shape of the vocal
> tract has a direct effect on the efficiency of vocal fold oscillation.
> Because vocal tract shape is adjustable and must be adjusted to achieve
> vowel differences, it is only a small step from this to assume that vowel
> selection and vowel modification have a major effect on vocal fold
> function.

lloyd,

so, what you're saying is that the vowel and the 'support' of vocal
fold oscillation are both the product of the shape of the vocal tract and not
any property of the vowel itself that provides this support? even if there
were a suggestion that different vowels, themselves, have a physical effect
on the vocal folds, it is hard to imagine how one could ever go about proving
such a theory. although, i have to confess, the rather amusing picture of
one group of singers singing into the mouths of another group of singers,
just popped into my mind. (maybe i really do have too much free time.)

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19710 Re: Use of Chest Voice (WAS re: classical traininReg Boyle   Sun  7/21/2002

emusic.com