Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Global Television Network" <palace@g...>
Date:  Fri Jul 19, 2002  1:57 am
Subject:  New Member has a question

Hi! I am a new member of this group and after reading the digest a few times I
am impressed by the depth of knowledge everyone has about voice so I feel
comfortable presenting this to you.
Here is my story:
I, like Bob, have been doing something wrong when I am about to sing the high
notes on songs. This is not an issue when I sing vocalises. I practice Frank
Sinatra's Bel Canto Vocalises and these are fun and easy to me. I think I am
tensing the back of my neck or something when I sing songs though. Two days
last week I was holding a position (neck posture) straight and I was singing
well. Now I can't find that straight position nor am I singing well. Before
the sudden shift into not singing well I had practiced an aria at home,
memorized words, read some, worked on diction and practiced piano. Could it be
that the forementioned activities place the song in the wrong hemisphere of the
brain?. My accompanist said it seemed as if I was not singing loudly and that I
seem afraid to sing the high notes. Of course it's true, I am afraid of not
coming up over the notes, I just hit the notes when I practice vocalises. When I
sing a word or short phrase at a time I have no problem actually "hitting" the
note, I am not coming up over the note though.
What do you think I could be doing wrong?
The things that I do when I sing are:
1. articulate vowels with my mouth and lips
2. articulate consonants with my tongue
3. work to achieve the open air space in the mouth and throat
4. work to come up "over" the notes on all notes
5. maintain a vertical opening on my mouth
6. tuck my chin slightly for posture (more on high notes though)
7. open my mouth less for low notes and more for high notes
8. try to maintain the lowered larynx at all times
9. maintain an open mouth position unless swallowing water
It has felt as if I can't seem to open the "space" in my throat that I need in
order to come up over the higher notes. I have not been able to achieve the
"vibrating facial mask" as well.

Faithfully Yours,
Julie

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19693 Re: New Member has a questionNaomi Gurt Lind   Fri  7/19/2002
19698 Re: New Member has a questionKaren Mercedes   Fri  7/19/2002
19696 Re: New Member has a questionKaren Mercedes   Fri  7/19/2002
19699 Re: New Member has a questionJohn Link   Fri  7/19/2002

emusic.com