Vocalist.org archive

From:  "singer112001" <singer112001@y...>
Date:  Thu Jul 18, 2002  1:56 pm
Subject:  Consonants and breath flow

All:

I seem to have no problems with breath flowing both through my mouth
and nose when singing scales with no consonants throughout my whole
range. As a tenor I can easily vocalize to B nautral, C, D flat and
up to D natural.

However when I finish scale work in daily practicing and turn to
working on songs, it's a different story. As soon as I begin to sing
words something unconsciuos seems to take hold and I seem to shut off
the flow of breath, particularly the flow of breath through my nose.

Up to a pitch of E flat or E natural in a song I do okay. However
from F natural and above I feel myself grasping at the very same note
that I sang easily during scale work.

This is particularly so that the onset of a phrase after I've taken a
breath. If a musical line starts on an F, F# or G, notes that are
well within my range, I cringe at the thought of taking the breath
because almost invariably I will grasp for the note. Again, If I
start a musical line on one of these pitches on a vowel, as though it
were a scale, I have a much better chance to have a good onset and
not grasp at the note.

I've give a lot of thought to this problem and tried many approaches,
mostly using some kind of imagery. However the problem still
persists.

Can anyone suggest something that I might try?

Thanks very much.

Regards,

Bob.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19667 Re: Consonants and breath flowJohn Link   Thu  7/18/2002
19671 Re: Consonants and breath flowsinger112001   Thu  7/18/2002
19672 Re: Consonants and breath flowJohn Link   Thu  7/18/2002
19701 Re: Consonants and breath flowsinger112001   Fri  7/19/2002
19704 Re: Consonants and breath flowJohn Link   Fri  7/19/2002
19702 Re: Consonants and breath flowReg Boyle   Fri  7/19/2002
21115 Re: Consonants and breath flowsinger112001 singer112001 Mon  11/25/2002
21125 Re: Consonants and breath flowJames bandbau Tue  11/26/2002
21166 Re: Consonants and breath flowsinger112001 singer112001 Thu  11/28/2002

emusic.com