Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@a...>
Date:  Wed Jul 17, 2002  2:01 pm
Subject:  re: classical training

Randy wrote:

>I've been doing this a
>long time with great success, and my experience tells me that almost (not
>quite, but almost) all classically trained female singers have a difficult
>time getting out of pure chest. If they do manage to do it, the mix has a
>very different quality to it than what a pop mix would. This evidence is
>based on working with over 70 students a week, many of them recovering opera
>singers. Based on this and the statements made about chest voice in the
>classically based literature (Miller calls it crude, crass and masculine) it
>is pretty evident that the chest voice is ignored, shortened in length or
>discouraged in most classical studios.

As a "recovering" opera singer (I prefer to think of myself as a
classically-trained singer who is broadening her world), I regard your
remarks as I might regard a sculptor criticizing a painter for not using
clay. Discounting certain specific repertoire choices, there is little use
in opera for pure chest. Given all that one must master in order to be a
good opera singer, why would one spend time and energy on skills that were
not expected to be part of the package?

There are people who dislike the sound of operatic (or country or pop or
Tuvan or whatever) voice production, which is certainly their prerogative.
However, I find it unfortunate when people are dismissive toward the honest
and well-meant endeavors of teachers and singers who embrace a sound they
don't like. I'm not saying we have to like everything (I have opinions
too!) but I'm puzzled by what comes across to me as a lack of respect for a
different way of using the body and voice.

Randy I'm duly impressed by your experience and success, and I think it's
great that operatically trained singers can come to you if and when they
choose to engage their chest voices in a different way. What of the pop
singer who decides to explore operatic repertoire and realizes s/he wants
to lighten the mix? Wouldn't you think a classical approach would be
useful for such a student?

We're all learning and exploring and trying to do our best to be the best
we can be. Aren't we?

Naomi Gurt Lind

emusic.com