Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Tue Jul 16, 2002  9:32 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] classical training

> > Would you explain how her classical training could lead to the
> > disconnection?
> >
> > John Link
>
>Classical training rarely allows a female to come out of pure chest. When
>singers trained this way try to come out of pure chest they usually at some
>point resort to a production that either flips or has a timbre that is not
>connected to their chest voice. I get "recovering opera singers" in my
>studio all the time and the problems they have with disconnects present
>huge
>challenges to them.
>
>Randy Buescher

Huh? I'm no teacher, but a large part of my training involved FINDING my
chest voice and learning to use it. Inasmuch as my current gig involves
singing in the "Do I *LOOK* like Paul Robeson?" range, I'm quite glad that I
put in the effort. (Besides, having a chest voice really does help with the
top notes!)

But, there does seem to be a lot of boneheaded voice teachers out there.
Good thing you can help them.

Elizabeth Finkler
San Jose, California
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo
"This would be a better world for children if the parents had to eat the
spinach." --Groucho Marx