Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jen <voiceslp@y...>
Date:  Sat Jul 13, 2002  8:44 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Classical/non-classical singing

> Audra McDonald was educated at Juilliard and has a
> BM in classical
> voice
I read a recent interview with Audra McDonald in which
she reported that she's ready to delve into classical
literature. She talks about how she resisted her
classical training at Juilliard because all she wanted
to do was sing on Broadway. It's clear when listening
to her now that she is able to call on a great deal of
solid technique to sing whatever she wants.

> I wonder if the pop singer Jewel has yet been
> mentioned.
Jewel caught my interest for two seconds when she was
popular precisely because I had heard about her
classical background. I listened attentively to her
two hit songs (well, actually listened to the TV while
I watched the video...) to hear a trace of the
technique. I never heard a moment which made me think
she'd accepted anything from her classical teachers.
It's makes me wonder how much of the story of her
classical education has been embellished.

My friends and I often suspect that, oftentimes, the
"classically trained" popular musicians took six
months of piano lessons in 8th grade, and their
publicist terms it classical training!

http://autos.yahoo.com

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19645 Re: Classical/non-classical singingkerubiino   Mon  7/15/2002
19646 Re: Classical/non-classical singingLee Morgan   Mon  7/15/2002
19662 Re: Classical/non-classical singingDenis J. Lanza   Thu  7/18/2002

emusic.com