Vocalist.org archive

From:  J Lardin <choirdiva77@y...>
Date:  Fri Jul 12, 2002  3:35 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Classical/non-classical singing

I agree completely with you. This is why I do not currently instruct students
in styles that are not classically based. I teach classical styles, music
theatre, and delve into jazz. Other than that, I refer students to other
teachers who specialize in pop styles.
Because I am a classically trained singer, I feel I can not help them, in all
honesty, and do not wish to because I have very little interest in that sort of
music. I also refuse to contribute in any way to a student's vocal damage and
never learned myself how to belt in a "healthy" way.
As a high school choral director, I instruct two show choirs. In that
situation, I DO teach my students classically based technique. When we do pop
and jazz, I modify the technique somewhat for a more stylized sound, but I try
to avoid placement that consistently carries the chest voice too high for long
periods of time.
Jessica Lardin
buzzcen@a... wrote: In a message dated 7/11/2002 9:44:39 PM Central
Daylight Time,
normasings2000@y... writes:

> Hello,
> I find this article to be very interesting. I am
> classically trained and I do have to teach people who
> sing Gospel music, pop music and the like . I find
> that they 'drive'the voice, force the chest into the
> top register.There are times that I do wonder if my
> teaching makes sense to them.
> I use slides,messa di voce etc.However I do know that
> after their lessons with me some of them go right back
> singing the way they did before.
> Norma

Your teaching doesn't make sense to them. You need to learn to teach an
upper mix that has lots of edge in it. That way they can make sounds that
are useable but healthy. I get the feeling you feel you may be wasting your
time (and their time) a bit and you probably are with the path you're on. I
think all teachers should ask themselves the question, "Is what I'm teaching
actually helping the client make healthy sounds that are usable within the
genre they're singing?" If the answer is no, the teacher is actually driving
the student away from their goal instead of towards it. The question then
should be asked, "Am I acting ethically?"

Randy Buescher