Vocalist.org archive

From:  "william_h_flanders" <flanders@d...>
Date:  Thu Jul 11, 2002  6:07 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Classical/non-classical singing

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., "Caio Rossi" <rossicaio@h...> wrote:
> Back on topic: can anyone mention a non-classical singer who
sings like
> classical singers, in terms of not belting, no changing his or her
timbre
> throughout his or her range, etc?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Caio

What I've found of many pop singers is that they'll
use various techniques in different songs and
in different parts of songs. This is relevant for
the following: Tom Jones. If you ever get a chance
to hear his duet with Pavarotti singing Delilah,
he really does maintain the rich resonance throughout
his range that an operatic tenor would. I don't
think he always sings like that, though.

Roy Orbison had a semi-operatic style, but his
head voice was a little thinner in timbre than
a clasically trained singer. He also had fairly
irregular breath control, but it all worked together
to be incredibly beautiful to most listeners.

I don't know why Frank Sinatra is continuously
mentioned as a classical singer. I'll probably
get shot for saying this, but I think a lot of
his style was essentially speaking in tone.
This is not a criticism, just an observation.

Bill

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19621 Re: Classical/non-classical singingErica Zweig   Thu  7/11/2002
19625 Re: Classical/non-classical singingKaren Mercedes   Thu  7/11/2002
19639 Re: Classical/non-classical singingariagirl13   Fri  7/12/2002
19643 Re: Classical/non-classical singingJen   Sat  7/13/2002
19645 Re: Classical/non-classical singingkerubiino   Mon  7/15/2002
19646 Re: Classical/non-classical singingLee Morgan   Mon  7/15/2002
19662 Re: Classical/non-classical singingDenis J. Lanza   Thu  7/18/2002

emusic.com