Vocalist.org archive

From:  Cyndee Szymkowicz <cyndeesings@y...>
Date:  Fri Jul 5, 2002  11:09 am
Subject:  Richard Miller + what voice teachers should read

I can't resist putting my 2 cents in (that's 2 Euro
cents, as I live in Germany). I work with one of the
most respected and beloved teachers in Germany, and
although she occasionally reads a few books and
articles about voice studies, she is not really
knowledgeable about the physics of singing, nor is she
interested in becoming so. She studied primarily in
Rome, the "old-fashioned Italian way", where no one
ever spoke about the science of singing, they just
showed you how to do it. My teacher sang on all the
great stages of the world, is a fantastic musician
(she accompanies her own lessons, including difficult
Wagner, Strauss, Berg, etc.), and really knows what
works. I have to add that most of her students are
already professional singers, and almost none of them
are academics, so perhaps that is why this "lack of
knowledge" isn't important!
I, however, am VERY interested in the physics
involved, and am hoping to catch one of Mr. Miller's
classes in Salzburg. Another voice-teacher friend of
mine just got Mr. Miller's last book, and I'm next on
the waiting list.
This brings me to a personal question: I'm a
dramatic soprano who has sung big roles in Germany for
the last 15 years, and am preparing for what I'll do
what I can't sing (perhaps 10 years from now?). I
came from the acting end of theater rather than from
the musical side, but have been very successful in
helping colleagues with some vocal problems. However,
I think some degree of training in vocal pedagogy
would be a good addition to my experience if I should
become a teacher. Can anyone recommend a good
graduate program for someone like me? Perhaps one
that I could fit around a performing schedule? Or
maybe to start with some seminars, summer workshops,
etc? Thanks for your suggestions,
Cynthia Szymkowicz

19583 Misquoted LyricsLloyd W. Hanson   Fri  7/5/2002
19584 Re: Richard Miller + what voice teachers should rLloyd W. Hanson   Fri  7/5/2002
19603 Re: grad pedagogy programsMs Christine Zimmermann   Mon  7/8/2002
19607 Re: grad pedagogy programstaylor23ferranti   Tue  7/9/2002
19620 Re: grad pedagogy programsJen   Thu  7/11/2002

emusic.com