Vocalist.org archive

From:  Axwell@a...
Date:  Sun May 28, 2000  6:47 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: American School of Countertenors

In a message dated 5/27/00 9:52:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time, toda@m...
writes:

<< I suppose most women sound more like women than Daniels does. And I
suppose if that was his goal, he has failed. I don't believe that this
is his goal. He is trying to approximate for us the experience of seeing
a castrato - a man who sounds, looks, and acts like a man but sings very
high with ferocious coloratura. In this respect, he succeeds with flying
colors. >>

Yes, but isn't the vocal usage different than what the castrattos
did ? Didn't the castrattos sing normally rather than on the edge of their
cords or in a yodel position ? Or whatever a falsettist does ? Why do you
assume that the sound of a falsettist is similar to the sound of a castratto
?

emusic.com