Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Sun Jun 23, 2002  10:27 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Classical/non-classical singing

In a message dated 6/23/2002 2:37:23 PM Central Daylight Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> Randy and Vocalisters;
>
> The classical method of voice production is a proven healthy method,
> if observed. The fact that classical singers also present vocal
> problems is less a criticism of the classical method of singing and
> more a criticism of poor application of these methods and/or foolish
> overuse of the classical voice even when properly produced.

My statements were not meant to imply that classical production is unhealthy
but that it does not in itself ensure vocal health. While amateur classical
singers lead to list in vocal problems it is not by much. All genres were
almost equally represented. What they did have in common was overuse. From
this one can gather that technique in itself is not the predominant factor
behind the ultimate health of the singer unless we come to the conclusion
that the singers that ended up in this category sang poorly regardless of the
style ... this may be true. However, these singers representing a wide
variety of genres were most likely using a wide variety of methods to produce
these results. Once again this shows that one approach over the other does
not necessarily have a stranglehold on vocal health.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com