Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <rossicaio@h...>
Date:  Sun Jun 23, 2002  8:23 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] CLASSICAL VERSUS NON-CLASSICAL SINGERS

Lloyd:.
Opera singers do not produce chest voice to high pitch levels.<

Although I didn't say it in my previous post, I had said before: "It seems
to me that male classical singers go as far as their "mix register",
shortening their cords without thinning them up ( or much ), so as to keep
producing overtones and project their voice above the orchestra while still
portraying a typical male timbre." Therefore, I never meant to say they push
their chest voices SOLELY into high pitch levels, but that they keep their
heavy mechanism active, more or less, beyond the point from which those pop
singers you mentioned would have "enlightened" the mechanism already. As
it's not distorted, experts wouldn't say they belt, but if you take into
consideration that there's more effort involved than that necessary to
produce the pop singing sound you yourself equaled to classical singing,
even if that extra effort is completely managable by and not harmful to the
cords, and only under that point of view, they're COMPARATIVELY belting.
That must be the reason why so many have used the word belting here as a
synonym for singing high, without a negative connotation.

Best wishes,

Caio

emusic.com