Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Sun Jun 23, 2002  8:35 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] CLASSICAL VERSUS NON-CLASSICAL SINGERS

Caio:

I would basically disagree with most of what you have said about the
the basics of vocal production. You raise phonational issues with
opera singers but you are not correct about the phonation methods
that obtain in classical singing.

Opera singers do not produce chest voice to high pitch levels. In
fact, they are carefully trained to not do this. It is the pops
singers of recent times who do this and damage voices as a result.

The most dangerous form of singing is "belting"! It is good that it
is now being studied carefully so that a technique for this very
extreme form of vocal production can be better understood and taught.
Opera singes who "belt" are not appreciated by those who know opera
and they do not last long.

I must add that there is a form of "belting" which requires
amplification and, in my opinion, is not true belting but resembles
it in quality. I applaud its use instead of true belting. This is
another example of not being able to make accurate decisions about
vocal technique from recordings.

It appears that it is very difficult to separate vocal technique from
vocal style. It should not be so. Vocal technique applies only to
how one achieves a vocal quality or effect, not the effect itself.
Vocal technique is more a study of the process of singing and less a
study of the product. For this reason, vocal technique is style
insensitive.
--
Lloyd W. Hanson

emusic.com