Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Sun Jun 23, 2002  2:00 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Classical/non-classical singing

In a message dated 6/22/2002 11:27:15 PM Central Daylight Time,
rossicaio@h... writes:

> Randy mentions Stevie Wonder, but then we have that "turbo falsetto"
> question. Mike has sometimes compared Steve Perry's (ex-Journey ) passagio
> and upper register to that of Pavarotti's, and you can read similar
> comments
> about Perry's and Geoff Tate's (Queensryche ) usage of chest and head voice
> on SLS websites. Should Perry and Tate be listed as (somewhat) contemporary
> examples of non-classical singers with classical-singing-like technique? I
> must confess I'm puzzled!

I'm still totally puzzled by that turbo falsetto statement because I still
don't believe it to be true. At the end of that thread examples where
supposed to be provided by Lloyd to demonstrate what he was talking about.
As far as I remember that was never done. I would suggest listening to a
tune like "All is Fair in Love" from "Innervisions" and tell me if you hear
any reinforced falsetto. I don't.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com