Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Sun Jun 23, 2002  1:49 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Classical/non-classical singing

Dear Caio, Mike and Vocalisters

Mike wrote:
regardless of what one decides to do with a voice, the study of how it
works and which action equals which resultant sound, can be helpful. what
has been unfortunate in the past has been the application of classical
singing techniques for the purpose of singing styles that are actually very
different. if one wishes to make a sound or, series of sounds that are in
opposition to classical technique, studying classical singing is not a very
good way to achieve that goal.

Caio wrote:
>Randy mentions Stevie Wonder, but then we have that "turbo falsetto"
>question. Mike has sometimes compared Steve Perry's (ex-Journey ) passagio
>and upper register to that of Pavarotti's, and you can read similar comments
>about Perry's and Geoff Tate's (Queensryche ) usage of chest and head voice
>on SLS websites. Should Perry and Tate be listed as (somewhat) contemporary
>examples of non-classical singers with classical-singing-like technique? I
>must confess I'm puzzled!

COMMENT: Perhaps it is not possible to compare singing technique
between classical singing and amplified singing, especially if one
attempts to do so from recordings only. (Actually, it is not possible
to accurately compare singing techniques between only classical
singers if one attempts to do so from recordings only). Some of the
techniques taught to pops singers by voice teachers who specialize in
this area of performance are not applicable to classical singing
because of the differences in vocal intensity required and these
differences are not only ones of style. The increased use and
reliance on amplification carries with it a concomitance to using the
electronic assistance as an artistic tool itself. Such a commitment
does easily find a place in the classical singing area.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson

emusic.com