Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <rossicaio@h...>
Date:  Sun Jun 23, 2002  4:25 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Classical/non-classical singing

Lloyd:>
But the music they sang required that
they sing with a tone quality that is closer to that found in a
classical style of singing.<

Maybe the music, or maybe the audience. Let's take "If I were a
Carpenter..." ( a Cd on which many "alternative" bands recorded their
versions of the Carpenter's hits ) for example, or that band that performs
"My Way": I don't know whether they sound "wrong" to me just because of my
previous experience with their "smoother" original versions or that music
requires to be performed with another tone quality ( vocal and
instrumental ).

MIke:>however, none of the singers you have listed exhibit the
vocalism that is peculiar to the classical singer with the possible
exception
of eddie fischer.<

I don't know Fischer, but how would you (guys) define that very difference,
in terms of technique? For example, I hear a lot more vibrato in classical
singing, but I'm not so sure that trait should be considered peculiar to it.

I'm bringing that up because I first listened to Dawn Upshaw, an SLS opera
singer, last week, and although I know many here have questioned how
operatic she actually sounds, and as she sounded very nice,pleasing and
convincingly operatic to me, I had been thinking about "that difference"
when this thread came up.

Randy mentions Stevie Wonder, but then we have that "turbo falsetto"
question. Mike has sometimes compared Steve Perry's (ex-Journey ) passagio
and upper register to that of Pavarotti's, and you can read similar comments
about Perry's and Geoff Tate's (Queensryche ) usage of chest and head voice
on SLS websites. Should Perry and Tate be listed as (somewhat) contemporary
examples of non-classical singers with classical-singing-like technique? I
must confess I'm puzzled!

Best regards,

Caio

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19462 Re: Classical/non-classical singingLloyd W. Hanson   Sun  6/23/2002

emusic.com