Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun Jun 23, 2002  3:37 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Classical/non-classical singing

In a message dated 6/22/2002 11:23:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ezweig@e... writes:

> I suppose these days, with so many
> more "methods" from which to choose, ie Seth Riggs, that the value of what
> Classical teacher offers seems to be qualified and narrowed by those who
> would
> focus on "making it" in the pop world today....???

erica,

i think it is important to realize that classical singing is just one
of the many things one can do with a voice. it has its criteria to be met
but, that criteria is not all inclusive of vocal usage. as many other
styles of singing exhibit, there are other uses of the voice.

regardless of what one decides to do with a voice, the study of how it
works and which action equals which resultant sound, can be helpful. what
has been unfortunate in the past has been the application of classical
singing techniques for the purpose of singing styles that are actually very
different. if one wishes to make a sound or, series of sounds that are in
oppostition to classical technique, studying classical singing is not a very
good way to achieve that goal.

as far as i know, both sinatra and bennett had voice lessons. both
are/were great singers but (fortunately for me), neither exhibits a use of
the voice that is peculiar to classical singing. i would guess that both
had teachers who were classical singers and, they either distorted what their
teachers said until it worked for them or, they didn't listen.

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19627 Re: Classical/non-classical singingwilliam_h_flanders   Fri  7/12/2002
19629 Re: Classical/non-classical singingnorma bowen   Fri  7/12/2002

emusic.com