Vocalist.org archive

From:  Erica Zweig <ezweig@e...>
Date:  Sun Jun 23, 2002  3:22 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Classical/non-classical singing

> can anyone mention a non-classical singer who sings like
> >classical singers...Not too difficult. Almost any popular singer from
> 1920's to 1950's

Do we know if the general "rule" of many of the era of the numerous pop
singers Dr. Hanson mentions took voice lessons, or were they naturals? I seem
to think I read that Frank Sinatra took lessons for a while when he was first
starting out. Not knowing much about recent pedagogical history,one assumes
Classical training was the only training. But my question would be, did those
pop singers, in their quest to better themselves, encounter a "bias" against
crossing over--were they going against the grain as realistic pop or jazz
singers if they took Classical lessons? I suppose these days, with so many
more "methods" from which to choose, ie Seth Riggs, that the value of what a
Classical teacher offers seems to be qualified and narrowed by those who would
focus on "making it" in the pop world today....???

emusic.com