Vocalist.org archive

From:  Sally Bradshaw <songful@c...>
Date:  Fri Jun 21, 2002  11:18 am
Subject:  different performing styles

Following on Mike's comment about percussion in classical and non-classical
music I remember Wynton Marsalis' comment. He was on a tour of the UK in
which he alternated each night between classical concerto concerts with an
orchestra and jazz concerts with a band. The interviewer asked him how he
could possibly stay in style for the different kinds of music and he said:
"I just have to remember that when I am performing jazz the rhythm is taken
care of for me by a drummer, and when I am performing a classical concerto
I have to internalise the rhythm". For him it was as simple as that.

Sally

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19441 Re: different performing stylesGreypins@a...   Fri  6/21/2002
19444 Re: different performing stylesErica Zweig   Sat  6/22/2002
19448 Re: different performing stylesGreypins@a...   Sat  6/22/2002

emusic.com