Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Thu Jun 20, 2002  2:06 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Vowel Mirror

In a message dated 6/20/2002 12:49:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> In a complete contrast to the stylistic demands of classical singing,
> other styles of singing may choose to emphasize the transition found
> in the diphthong and actually relish the lack of optimum resonance
> that is the result of this approach. Often this difference in
> approach to the selection of optimum resonance is the primary
> noticeable difference obtained when a classically trained singer does
> pop or show tunes.

lloyd,

this is an excellent point. as i read your response, it occured to
me that there are such fundamental differences between classical and non
classical music, they should almost be considered different artforms, not a
difference as painting is different from sculpture but even further apart,
just as music is different from dance (that might be an exaggeration).

this fundamental difference is not only evident in singing, it is
evident in the use of other instruments as well. consider the difference
between the use of percussion in the classical orchestra vs. big bands and
rock bands: in the classical orchestra, percussion is treated like a
flavoring (like jimmies on an ice cream cone), in the big band or, even more
so, in a rock band, it is the drummer who anchors tempo and all tempo changes
(usually). these fundamental differences in role certainly have an effect
on how the percussionist developes their skills. the trumpet in the hands
of a maurice andre is a very different animal in the hands of a miles davis.
where maurice andre developed a remarkable consistency of tone, miles davis
explored every possible sound one could make with a trumpet.

so often, my friends in high school would ask "how can you stand that
opera s__? it all sounds like screaming!" and, so often i have heard
classical singers refer to rock, and other, as screaming. clearly, in the
light of this discussion, at least, classical and non-classical singing are
so different that judging one by the criteria of the other, is a mistake.

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19435 Classical/non-classical singingthomas mark montgomery   Fri  6/21/2002
19437 Triplicate MessagesLloyd W. Hanson   Fri  6/21/2002
19438 Affects of steroids on the voiceKate Reid   Fri  6/21/2002
19439 Re: Affects of steroids on the voiceJohn Messmer, M.D.   Fri  6/21/2002
19445 Re: Affects of steroids on the voiceKate Reid   Sat  6/22/2002
19442 Re: Affects of steroids on the voiceSharon Szymanski   Sat  6/22/2002

emusic.com