Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Sun May 28, 2000  6:00 am
Subject:  Re: American School of Countertenors (trained ducks)

John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...> wrote:
> Tako, I appreciate your 'issues' with reviewers who are
> perhaps unhappy with the way the countertenor sound is headed
> historically (IMO just such a richer, fuller sound, and not
> co-incidentally, wider acceptance) especially since you clearly want
> to sing that way.

Thanks! Actually, I prefer that people not push people into any
pigeonholes. The British sound is very beautiful, and I don't want that
to be extinguished as illegitimate. People should just sing what they
sing best. Operatic CTs should sound operatic, renaissance CTs should
sound renaissance, barbershop CTs should barbershop.

> It could be argued by an antiquary that a counter tenor is
> whatever sings the line above the cantus firmus, whether it be an
> alto, male or female, or a trained duck.

LOL! Seriously, though, I'm glad you brought this up - countertenor
altus was originally an instrumental term! The word is that far-removed
from its current usage.

-Tako

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
1982 Re: American School of Countertenors (trained duc John Alexander Blyth   Tue  5/30/2000   4 KB

emusic.com