Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Kathryn Thickstun Leff" <ktleff@c...>
Date:  Thu Jun 13, 2002  11:36 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Law Degree??

Dolphin aura wrote:

My Mother is trying to convince me to go to Law School after I graduate or
go to graduate school. She thinks that it would help me while I"m trying to
make a career in music.

[Kathryn Thickstun Leff]
Are you interested in practicing law? If not, don't do it. Both the study
and practice of law are much too demanding of your time and energy unless it
is something you really want to do.

If you are interested in law, here are some things you should consider:
For the two and a half to three years you're in law school, you won't have
time for anything else. (No singing, no personal relationships, etc.) Well,
you may have time after your first year, but don't count on it.
If you want to pursue your singing career while practicing law, you'll
have to look long and hard to find a very flexible, understanding employer
who would be willing to tolerate a reduced work load for you, reduced hours,
to enable you to pursue your dream. The job market is tight in law, too, so
you might not have much choice. You might talk to attorneys in your
preferred geographical area to get an idea what the job market is like.

If you are still considering law school, you might take the LSAT to see
how you do. (Take an LSAT prep course first.) Although your success on the
LSAT does not foretell how you'll do as an attorney, it is a reasonably
accurate indicator of your success in law school and on the multistate
(multiple choice) section of the bar exam. That's why law schools require
the LSAT as part of the admissions process. You can do poorly on the LSAT
and well in law school, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

My advice? Law school can wait.

Kate Leff
Attorney at Law
Lyric Coloratura Soprano