Vocalist.org archive

From:  "singercogs" <stedco@e...>
Date:  Thu Jun 13, 2002  6:04 pm
Subject:  Vowels and Registration (was re: Introduction & a Question)

Dear Lloyd,

I was hoping to take you up on your offer of discussing Dr.
Coffin's work a bit more in depth.

I've been using his Vowel Chart, and am loving it! I think
I've got
a basic handle on the lower registers. My students and I have
been playing with a power spectrum and vocal fry to test the
accuracy of intending the vowels given on the chart, and it's
amazing how accurate it is. For Chest, f1 matches up to the third
overtone; middle (upper) f1's right on the second overtone;
mixed, the fundamental rests comfortably between f1 and f2; and
for the vowel register, f1 reinforces the fundamental. All with very
little need for adjustment.

My question is, I am confused by the head mix (flute) register.
I'm
also reading Garyth Nair's "Voice-Tradition and
Technology" and
he suggests females keep the f1/fundamental tuning past F5 (or
there abouts), while I believe Dr. Coffin is advocating a slightly
different resonance tuning with his .67 mix, mixing the "vowel
pitch register and its 8ve".

Can you explain what's going on with this register? On the back
of the chart he suggests it may have something to do with R2
and R3, but I am confused as to how that might show up on the
power spectrum.

Thanks!
Steven Cogswell

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19397 Re: Vowels and Registration (was re: IntroductionLloyd W. Hanson   Thu  6/13/2002
19411 Re: Vowels and Registration (was re: Introductionsingercogs   Sat  6/15/2002
19413 Re: Vowels and Registration (was re: IntroductionLloyd W. Hanson   Sat  6/15/2002
19416 Re: Vowel Mirror singercogs   Sun  6/16/2002
19417 Article on vocal chord repairthomas mark montgomery   Sun  6/16/2002
19420 Re: Article on vocal chord repairLloyd W. Hanson   Sun  6/16/2002

emusic.com