Vocalist.org archive

From:  "SMSchneider" <smschneider@e...>
Date:  Wed Jun 12, 2002  5:53 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] good opera-acting coaching

Karen M-

Thanks for nailing the issue, as you usually do. I must tell you that when I
was in grad school, lo these many years ago, I was one of 2 voice majors
(the other was another grad student) who registered at the school of drama
for acting classes. It was practically unheard of for music school students
to take drama school classes, and vice versa.

It wasn't an easy integration for us. Even the faculty had a strong bias
against music majors, and didn't give us the same opportunities she gave the
other students. There was open condescension - almost hostility - from the
drama school students. I'll also admit that if any voice students ever
showed up at a production at the drama school, the attitude was quite
completely returned. This was at a large Univ in Texas.

As an undergrad at Eastman, we didn't have "acting classes" but Richard
Perlman, the opera director, did bring in many great people to work with us.
And Richard himself taught us a great deal about acting, not simply opera
acting.

Susan Schneider