Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Jun 10, 2002  7:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] good opera-acting coaching

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Elizabeth Finkler wrote:

> mike's reference to silent-film acting got *my* attention. I occasionally
> gobble up the silents shown by TCM on "Silent Sunday Night" and other
> places. I find a great affinity between silent films and opera. Both
> genres are heavily dependent on music, and both require a highly expressive
> style of acting... which works only if one's heart is in it!

Indeed, the best Don Jose I've ever seen was ACTOR (not opera singer)
Wallace Reid in Cecil B. DeMille's 1916 silent film version of CARMEN.
Geraldine Farrar is one of the best Carmens I've ever seen as well.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
I will sing with the spirit, and I
will sing with the understanding also.