Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Jun 10, 2002  2:02 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: documentary or movie about singers?

On Sat, 8 Jun 2002, Margaret L. Harrison wrote:

> The Music Teacher with Juan Pons. A very strange subtitled movie in French
about a retired opera singer taking on a student.

*NOT* Juan Pons!!! The peerless Jose van Dam, whose stunning,
heartbreaking rendering of "Um Mitternacht" from Mahler's Rueckert-Lieder
is the highlight of the soundtrack. A somewhat contrived film plot-wise,
but wonderfully acted, and nicely sung by the other (dubbing) singers, and
magnificently by van Dam, whose character (the teacher) doesn't sing,
except during his farewell concert, but whose voice is used several times
"voice over" in the soundtrack.

> Tous les Matins du Monde with Gerard Depardieu, about the French baroque
composer Marin Marais and his reclusive teacher, whose name I forget. There's
also a great CD of the music in the movie. I'm not terribly fond of the movie,
though it is beautiful and the music is great.

Has nothing to do with singers. Is about the relationship between
Saint-Colombe, who composed mainly for viola da gamba, and his protege
Marin Marais, also a viola da gambist. This falls into the genre of
COMPOSER biopic. I don't believe either Saint-Colombe or Marais wrote
anything significant - if at all - for the voice.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
I will sing with the spirit, and I
will sing with the understanding also.