Vocalist.org archive

From:  Barb Roberts <mikebarb@n...>
Date:  Sun Jun 9, 2002  11:16 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] documentary or movie about singers?

> --- In vocalist-temporary@y..., thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
>
> wrote:
> It reminds me of my favorite "Andy Griffith Show" episode in which
> Barney is the soloist for the town chorus, but sings so badly, Andy
> tells him to use a special microphone that works best the softer you
> sing.

Aren't those episodes great? "Singing very, very softly" into a
"special microphone" has become a family joke. If I complain to my
husband about not getting my vocal part, he asks me if the director
wanted me to use a "special mic." I'm your typical amateur soprano who
is somewhat harmony impaired (especially with the middle harmony
lines.) Special microphone? <Sigh> Fat chance.

Similarly, the "I Love Lucy" shows were also very funny. I love show
where Lucy writes a musical. It is a good example of very bad music.
(With such numbers as "I am the Queen of the Gypsies, the Gyp, Gyp, Gyp,
Gyp Gypsies" and "I am the good Prince Lancelot and I love to sing and
dance a lot.") In Lucy's case, the others in the show arrange to have
her solo drowned out by "operatic" chorus. I love it.

Barbara Roberts
mikebarb@n...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19351 Re: documentary or movie about singers?John Link   Sun  6/9/2002

emusic.com