Vocalist.org archive

From:  Michael Eckford <michaelb@y...>
Date:  Sat May 27, 2000  11:06 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Tongue/Body Tension

Mezzoid@aol.com wrote:
I think that actually sticking your tongue out is a valuable tool for people
to discover just how much your tongue wants to pull back in!...but as a tool to "train" your tongue not to be sucked back into the cavity, it has some merit.  Like anything, you have to monitor it to make sure you're not going to extremes.
Hello List,

I completely agree with all the suggestions given so far for relaxing the tongue - "whatever works for you..."  I would add the importance of doing all this within a context of holistic body/mind/spirit awareness - "the interconnectedness of all things", including body parts...   - Check out Alexander, Feldenkreis Technique, tai chi (among many others)...

Some years ago, I was fortunate to take some classes with David Smukler, a wonderful teacher and human being, based in Toronto.  Among so many things I learned from him was an exercise where you softly vocalize on "ah", gently pull on your tongue and massage it with the fingers of both hands - you may want to have some tissue handy...:o)  Another Smukler exercise possibly requiring the use of tissue is to whisper "peachy peachy peachy", very loudly with a very explosive "p" - a great "loosener" of the lips...

Other things I do, mostly while vocalizing on an "easy ah", to "recreate the body/voice interconnection", various combinations of:
gentle manipulation of the jaw
yawning
massage/isolate/stretch/roll/gently shake any body part in a given moment that needs attention - neck, shoulders, chest, rib cage, pelvis, etc. etc.
gentle "body percussion", all over the body, a la Bobby McFerrin
say "wang wang wang..." while stretching the tongue and generally making big ugly faces
gentle shadow boxing - I find this particularly liberating for my upper body

And yes, Rachel, French kissing certainly can't hurt...:o)

Hope some of this helps...

Cheers.

Michael Eckford <michaelb@yknet.yk.ca>
Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
1937 Re: Tongue/Body Tension Mezzoid@a...   Sun  5/28/2000   2 KB
1940 Re: Tongue/Body Tension Jennifer L. Fretwell   Sun  5/28/2000   3 KB
1959 Re: Tongue/Body Tension thomas mark montgomery   Mon  5/29/2000   2 KB
1941 Re: Tongue/Body Tension Mezzoid@a...   Sun  5/28/2000   2 KB

emusic.com