Vocalist.org archive

From:  "snide76258" <snide76258@y...>
Date:  Sat Jun 8, 2002  2:15 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] documentary or movie about singers?

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
wrote:
It reminds me of my favorite "Andy
> Griffith Show" episode in which Barney is the soloist for the town
chorus,
> but sings so badly, Andy tells him to use a special microphone that
works
> best the softer you sing.

Acually, I think there are two DIFFERENT episodes invovlving Barney
singing. In the one you mention, a professional is brought in from
another town to sing backstage while Barney sings inaudibly into the
mike. What is hysterically funny is Barney's reaction. He thinks that
he is hearing himself!

In another, we discover that Gomer Pyle (Jim Nabors) has an excellent
voice and he "beats out" Barney for a solo with the community chorus.

Which brings me to a quick story...When I was a sophomore in HS, our
choir was doing a piece with a male solo. Te director made all of the
guys learn it and audition, whether we thought we could do it or not.
About the only "classical" singer I knew of was Jim Nabors (who
appeared regularly on The Carol Burnett Show, etc.) so I tried to
sing it like I thought he would. I got the solo, and the rest, as
they say, is history!

emusic.com