Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Sat Jun 8, 2002  1:59 pm
Subject:  good opera-acting coaching

Dear Vocalisters:

In a recent response to another thread, Margaret Harrison used the
term "good opera-acting coaching" and that gave me the idea of
selecting it for a new thread on this list.

Much fun is made of "opera acting" as if the two words are a
contradiction in terms similar to "honest attorney" or "clean
roommate". It is a reputation that is well earned.

And, sad to say, it is often true that the opera goer expects little
else than a few predictable gestures and conventional facial
contortions to represent the depth of expression that should be
portrayed by the music and the action.

One can add to this the extremely poor attempt made by many
university/college opera programs toward teaching acting for the
singer. Often the necessity of training the voice supercedes the
training of the actor and the combination of singer-actor becomes
lopsided toward the former at the expense of the latter.

I would add that, in my opinion, we see very little good acting in
our popular media such as TV and Cinema. Instead we are confronted
daily with "personalities" which passes for acting.

Anybody have opinions to share on this idea of acting for the singer?
--
Lloyd W. Hanson

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19332 Re: good opera-acting coachingomtara   Sat  6/8/2002
19360 Re: good opera-acting coachingKaren Mercedes   Mon  6/10/2002

emusic.com