Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Margaret L. Harrison"<peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sat Jun 8, 2002  12:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Musetta

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002 17:37:48 -0400 (EDT) Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...> wrote:
>>I've often wondered the same thing - and have also wondered whether Musetta, a
soubrette role (no need for a coloratura as she hasn't got any
fioratura passages to sing), might not soon go the way of Mozart's Zerlina, who
is increasingly being sung by high lyric mezzos.

I've heard of mezzos doing Musetta, but I've yet to see a production, whether
amateur or opera house, who's cast one. But whichever voice type, I think the
key to Musetta is being able to "perform" the role. I recently saw a student
production with an outstanding Rodolfo (a very talented young tenor named Stefan
Reed who's starting his Masters at New England conservatory in the fall - note
the name, you could well hear it in the future), Mimi and Marcello. But the
Musetta, who sang well, didn't have the key to acting the part, though you could
see her trying up a storm. This made every scene in which Musetta had a
prominent part fall flat on its face, and that's very hard to do with this
opera, it's so sure-fire. (Hopefully this soprano will get some good
opera-acting coaching and do better the next time.)

Peggy

Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19322 good opera-acting coachingLloyd W. Hanson   Sat  6/8/2002
19332 Re: good opera-acting coachingomtara   Sat  6/8/2002
19360 Re: good opera-acting coachingKaren Mercedes   Mon  6/10/2002

emusic.com