Vocalist.org archive

From:  David Geary <dgeary@s...>
Date:  Fri Jun 7, 2002  4:59 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] documentary or movie about singers?

> Zefirelli has finished filming CALLAS FOREVER, with French actress Fanny
> Ardant in the title role, and also starring Jeremy Irons and Joan Plowright.
> Don't
> know who will be dubbing the singing.

They are using the Callas recordings, I saw a couple of snippets from it on
italian TV.
It is about an impresario trying to get Callas to make films to her recordings,
the scenes I saw
were from Carmen.

There is another hysterically funny film called "Everybody's doing it" from 1950
(about) in which
Celeste Holme is a society lady who wants to sing opera, but her husband (Paul
Douglas)doesn't want her to.
(Why not? she asks. "Because you stink" is his reply.) Then he discovers HE has
an incredible baritone
voice, (every time he sings a high F the candelier shatters) and, unknown to her
goes on a concert tour. (He is seduced into it by a
gorgeous soprano, Linda Darnell, I think) Finally he makes his opera debut as a
sort of Egyptian slave in one of those
campy fake Hollywood operas, except he is terribly nervous, and everyone gives
him something to drink, and by the
time he gets on stage he is stoned. It is well worth looking for, no idea if it
is on video.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19314 Re: documentary or movie about singers?snide76258   Sat  6/8/2002
19316 Re: documentary or movie about singers?David Geary   Sat  6/8/2002
19356 Re: documentary or movie about singers?Karen Mercedes   Mon  6/10/2002
19323 Re: documentary or movie about singers?thomas mark montgomery   Sat  6/8/2002
19325 Re: documentary or movie about singers?snide76258   Sat  6/8/2002

emusic.com