Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@s...>
Date:  Sat May 27, 2000  9:14 pm
Subject:  re: voice problem

Annelies wrote:

>The doctor also gave me Celestone, those are steroids. I don't like to take
>so strong medication but I do want to sing my exam, if possible at the
>maximum of my capabilities. I have been working towards this exam for the
>last five years so I really want to do it good! But I know it isn't worth
>destroying my voice and the rest of my career over. I'm able to sing at this
>point, I just have to be very carefull to do everything technically very,
>very right otherwise I have the chance to have only air and no sound.

If it were me, I would postpone the exam and not use the steroids. Mind
you, I have never been in your situation and this is based on what I've
heard from the people around me, as well as an overcautious nature. I
don't know how the exam system works in your country but if it is in any
way possible, wouldn't you rather do the exam when you are at your best and
can focus on your expressive goals, rather than on making sure your voice
works properly? I don't mean to alarm you, this is just what I would do.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you! I know how difficult it is to go
through a time when you have doubts in your voice.

Naomi Gurt Lind

emusic.com