Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Sat May 27, 2000  7:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Tongue Tension

In a message dated 05/27/2000 1:54:13 PM Central Daylight Time,
Diva1tenor@c... writes:

<< I understand the validity of "flopping" your tongue around, and even
out of the mouth to try to relax it, but I think pushing it forward and
letting it hang out while singing will only create tension in the jaw and in
the big muscle under one's chin. >>

I think that actually sticking your tongue out is a valuable tool for people
to discover just how much your tongue wants to pull back in! Of course, no
one wants to sing with your tongue out - it's not the prettiest thing to look
at (especially if one has eaten Oreos - the food most impossible to sneak -
but I digress), but as a tool to "train" your tongue not to be sucked back
into the cavity, it has some merit. Like anything, you have to monitor it to
make sure you're not going to extremes. Just like with Oreos....

Christine Thomas
Mezzo-Soprano
Wauwatosa, WI

"Oh, I got plenty Akhnaten, Akhnaten's plenty for me" :)

emusic.com