Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Tue Jun 4, 2002  10:22 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] floaty high notes

Speaking as a dramatic contralto... :)

I have observed a few things.

1) When one *tries too hard* to do pianissimi, the result is often
under-energised breath "support" (lower abdomen), which makes it HARDER,
not easier, to sing softly.

2) When producing a pianissimo sound, the decrease in compression is
inversely proportional to the increase in energy/support. The quieter you
get, the less compression, and the more energy/support needed to sustain a
consistently "spinning" yet softer sound.

3) As an exercise, work on starting your high notes loud, then gradually
tapering them to pianissimo, while maintaining absolute consistency in the
"spin" of the sound. No, the resonance and overtones won't be the same,
but the *energy* behind the quiet sound should, if anything, be greater to
make up for the lack of deep resonance and overtones.

4) Try some "high, light" staccato exercises to get used to the sensation
you want to achieve on your high, soft notes. I use a 1-3-5-8-10-8-5-3-1
arpeggio, sung very lightly and staccato, and eventually moving up so that
the "10" note (the third above the top of the octave) is the absolutely
highest note I can sing. The entire time I sing, I think "pizzicato" - as
in violin strings being very lightly, quickly plucked. I am scrupulous
about NOT adding compression to the high notes. And I don't care about
beauty in the sound - I focus the sound very "forward" ("into the masque",
"into the nose", whatever) in my mental imagery. I'm not looking for any
kind of rich resonance, laryngeal resonance, overtones, etc. I'm looking
for pure, laser-like high notes that I just "touch" and get off.

I then repeat the exercise sustaining each note a bit longer, and a bit
longer, but without any increase in volume. The result is that,
ultimately, I'm able to sing a pianissimo high note and sustain it.

Hope these ideas help.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
I will sing with the spirit, and I