Vocalist.org archive

From:  omigurt@a...
Date:  Mon Jun 3, 2002  9:52 pm
Subject:  re: Carmen audition question

Karena wrote:

>I am getting ready to audition for Carmen, and I'll be singing the
>Seguidilla. Would it be considered tacky to sing with my hands
>behind my back, since her hands are tied in this scene? To me, it
>seems dramatically vital to the aria, but maybe the auditors would
>think it just looks silly. Would I look stupid if I go in there and
>do the whole thing with my hands behind my back?

I say go for it! It would only look stupid if you did it half-heartedly.
I used to have the willies about such things but it's been my observation
that whatever the performer believes and invests in for him or herself will
come across as truthful and interesting in performance. If you invest in
"Gosh I feel self-conscious," that will be picked up by the audience, and
if you invest in "They can tie me up but they can't take the rhythm out of
me," likewise. You have the power!

I've seen it done where the mezzo did most of the Séguédille with her hands
behind her back. Just as she got to the last "Près des ramparts de
Séville..." she acted as if José untied her at that moment and did a few
>steamy dance moves as her arms were released. It was very effective.

Break a leg!

Naomi Gurt Lind

P.S. [Personal note to Karena, sorry list] How's everything? Have you
moved yet? Zap me and tell me! : )

emusic.com