Vocalist.org archive

From:  Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Date:  Sat May 25, 2002  10:47 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] teaching the very young

Molly,
I think mike's advice is on the mark.
I have several young students that age and from that situation. Part of
each lesson is devoted to basic theory: names of the lines and spaces,
note values, time signatures, simple rhythms, key signatures, basic
expression marks etc. After they understand some of the theory, then we
start applying it to simple reading exercises. I also encourage them to
make up songs and write them down so that we can study them at their
lessons.
For technique, we do lots of simple exercises: vocalizes with words,
nonsense syllables or only vowels, onset and breath renewal exercises,
resonance balancing exercises, agility exercises etc. What I don't do
are exercises that cover a large range (over an octave) or that dwell in
the extremes of the students range. I prefer the young ones to sing
really well in a comfortable part of their voice early on, then once
that is secure, we start to explore the highs and lows (or fasts and
slows!). For repertoire, easy folk songs, nursery rhymes, Disney songs,
RCM songbooks, etc. are all popular. I also encourage lots of
performance experience, even if it's only singing for the student who's
lesson is next!
Cheers,
Craig, Burnaby BC

emusic.com