Vocalist.org archive

From:  Sally Collyer <scol8413@m...>
Date:  Sun May 19, 2002  12:29 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Amazing Opera review

Mike wrote:
> seriously, has anyone ever wondered why critics exist? if you went,
>why do you need some bitter psychopath to tell you what to think and, if you
>didn't go, what good is a verbal description? and, speaking of which, why
>don't more of us site specific, well known examples when making a point?

1) I have questioned their reason for existence and come out
overwhelmingly on the affirmative subject to a judicious application which
does not absolve me of my responsibility to form a considered
opinion. Hence my subscription to Vocalist.
2) (After carefully distancing myself from any causal relationship between
critics and bitter psychopaths,) I am always interested in the opinions of
selected others on subjects dear to my heart. Thus I subscribe to Vocalist.
3) (Assuming that 'verbal' in this context is limited to 'written',) as
much use as literature, written pedagogy, books, letters, email and Vocalist.
4) Limiting myself to well known examples: George Bernard Shaw, Bernard
Levin, Norman Lebrecht, Vocalist.

Sally

emusic.com