Vocalist.org archive

From:  "takooda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Fri May 17, 2002  11:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Aaron Neville

bjjocelyn@p... wrote:
> What a sham of a tribute to pay to Louis Amstrong, Charlie
> Parker, Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder!

Is this supposed to be a compliment to these musicians? By implying
there is some kind of de facto musical affirmitive action going on,
you are cheapening their achievements as musicians. When I see people
of color succeeding in the arts (or most other fields for that
matter), I generally assume they have overcome greater obstacles than
other people. I realize that is not true in every case...

IMO, many of the recent comments regarding Neville are just plain
nasty. I actually really enjoy hearing his vocal register break. To
me, it supports the sense of emotional vulnerability which appears in
many of his songs. Sinead O'Conner does the same thing.

As a countertenor, I am constantly obsessed with masking my break, it
is a nice change to hear a singer make music which embraces his/her
natural voice. It reminds me that music is not just about having a
perfect instrument, it is about touching people.

peace,
Tako Oda

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19171 Re: Aaron Nevillebjjocelyn@p...   Mon  5/20/2002