Vocalist.org archive

From:  "takooda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Fri May 17, 2002  10:49 pm
Subject:  Re: Super High Head Voice

> I wanted to ask a question about the
> super high range of head voice since at this point I'm running into
> problems concerning this area.

If you are a tenor, why are your worried about trouble with the high
soprano range? Are you considering changing career to
countertenor/sopranist?

> At low volumes I can vocalize all the
> way up to E6 without preasure. My problem happens when I change
> dynamics from low volume to loud, My larynx rises and preasure
builds
> up at about Bb5 and my E6's are lost and I can only vocalize in
full
> voice past the Bb5 up to C6.

Many sopranos (females) raise their larynges somewhat for their
highest notes, so if it doesn't involve lots of tension and it
happens naturally, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I can think of a possible reason why you lose range at loud volumes.
The muscles within your vocal folds may be contracting to provide
more resistance to the air pressure from your lungs for the greater
volumes - the resulting thickening of the vibrating mass would lower
the highest potential frequency of your folds. When you sing softly,
it's possible you are using a true falsetto, with relaxed (and
therefore thinner) folds. Relaxed folds don't provide a lot of
resistance - it could explain the soft volume at the very top. True
falsetto generally doesn't involve full closure of the folds,
either... another reason the sound may be softer.

Another possibility is that you really are raising your larynx too
much and activating all sorts of extrinsic muscles that would
preclude the kind of finesse necessary for the highest notes.

This is all just wild speculation! I've never heard you, and I've
never seen your layrnx ;-)

> Is there a different approach one must take when vocalizing these
> notes, roughly Ab5 and beyond, than the lower head voice notes?
How
> do women approach the notes leading up to C6 and beyond in full
> voice? And would a man, who could hit those notes, have to
approach
> it differently than a woman would? Basically any advise would be
> helpfull.

Again, it's really hard for me to answer this without hearing you,
but I have a question... is it possible to switch smoothly and
naturally between your lower head voice and what you are calling your
high head voice? If not, I'd guess you are using a whistle register
(as opposed to a true flageolet) for the top.

Whistle voice is not very healthy, and it is difficult to control (I
have access to this register...) If you are serious about pursuing
this further, I invite you to join TheCountertenors egroup at yahoo.
We have several male sopranos on this list that have first-hand
information on this topic. If you have a real flageolet, then you
should be able to use it like any woman would - again, you'd have to
talk to some true male sopranos (I am not) for the details on that.

Best wishes,
Tako Oda,
Countertenor

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19150 Re: Super High Head Voicevalevanni   Sat  5/18/2002
19169 Re: Super High Head Voicetremucci   Mon  5/20/2002
19187 Notation, was Re: Super High Head Voicechosdad   Tue  5/21/2002
19168 Re: Super High Head Voicetremucci   Mon  5/20/2002

emusic.com