Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Christine Thomas" <Mezzoid@w...>
Date:  Fri May 17, 2002  7:21 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Teachers who can't (was--Amazing Opera review)

Despite this, it's easy to sense, and also to understand, that he might
have more interest in his
students from LA or SF Operas. The rest of us occasionally get "pre-empted"
when these folks come to town for mini-marathon sessions.

Well, my students are mostly HS age, so I don't have any real "stars" in the
accepted sense of the word. And maybe it's harsh to say I'm more interested
in those with performing aspirations - it was very early in the a.m. when I
wrote that! But for example, I just did a studio recital of scenes. My HS
kids were into it. They wanted to do it (most of them), they were open and
willing to do acting, even if they never had done it before, and look silly.
I mentioned to one of my adults that the recital was coming up and his
response was: "Yeah, good luck with that." The adults don't want to take a
risk.

I enjoy watching people develop from shy, mousy junior high students into
confident and brave young adults. If they don't go on to perform for a
living, that's fine. But they all have the knowledge that they can get up
and do things in front of an audience, and that is very rewarding to me.

Christine Thomas,
Mezzo Soprano

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a!"

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19132 Re: Teachers who can't (was--Amazing Opera reviewEdgewoodVoiceStudio   Fri  5/17/2002

emusic.com