Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Christine Thomas" <Mezzoid@w...>
Date:  Fri May 17, 2002  8:10 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Aaron Neville

<<Far from giving in to revisionism, I guess his ethnical [sic] background
unfortunately gives him an unwarranted credit boost in this day and age.
History has its back-and forths, it must be the toll to pay after three
centuries of violent western domination...>>

Whoa. I don't think Aaron Neville is particularly revered because of his
ethnic bacgkground nor is it particularly ethical <g> to imply that race has
anything to do with this. I don't care for his voice either but I have seen
him perform at a medical convention in New Orleans and it was an excellent
performance. And he's been around for quite awhile as well. He's not a new
kid on the block.

<<As if "grooving" to a void syncopated sixteen-note drum pattern was the
sole genetically inherited prerogative of non western folks, and as such
forcefully practising it a token of cosmopolitan modernity!>>

Britney Spears is also a big star with much more limited vocalism, IMO, and
definitely less musicianship than Aaron Neville, and I wouldn't attribute
her success to the rise of the Texas-cheerleading-mother subculture or the
much-underappreciated society of stripper-wannabes. It's just a low point
in pop music, and every era has it. Disco comes to mind.
Rama-lama-ding-dong comes to mind. Mairzy-doats-and-dozy-doats...

Christine Thomas,
Mezzo Soprano

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a!"

emusic.com