Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dré de Man <dredeman@w...>
Date:  Mon May 13, 2002  8:49 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] acoustic properties of head voice ques.

Dear Lloyd and co vocalisters,

Lloyd wrote:

I am very familiar with the gradual change from unchanged voice to
changed voice. My voice changed in this manner also. No break, just
a gradual mutation into a lower range. And as a developing tenor I
was able very early to sing into the normal tenor head voice.

A little late reaction, but maybe of any use.

In my case it was exactly the same: very gradual mutation, and later in,
let’s call it mixed voice easy transition to c5 and higher.

But what interests me:

1 Isn’t this a normal situation for a tenor?

2 Or is it only normal for tenors with a natural high c, whatever that
may be?

3 Why would men lose their head voice if the mutation happens less
smooth, after all, the mechanism does not change.

4 What is true about the saying that boys who have a boy-alto voice will
become a tenor and boy-soprano’s baritones/basses?

Best greetings,

Dré

emusic.com