Vocalist.org archive

From:  LYNDA313@a...
Date:  Mon May 13, 2002  6:16 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Richard Miller

In a message dated 5/13/2002 1:56:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Mezzoid@w... writes:

> << I knew that if he spoke and taught with as much
> common sense and clarity as he had when he wrote, that I would learn a
> great
> deal and enjoy myself! I was not disappointed. >>
>
> I actually found he spoke with greater clarity than he wrote, IMO!

I completely agree. The best part is...he works with each singer using the
same general principles, but finding the correct direction FOR EACH VOICE.
Singers do not emerge sounding like carbon copies of each other. I had the
opportunity one year to observe his session with a young baritone, a
gentleman who did not consider himself a solo singer. The baritone was a
choral conductor who wanted to be as good a vocal example for his students as
he could be, so he had come to Richard for help. Within 20 minutes, the
young man was using so much more sound, better balance of resonance, and was
singing expressively and with added confidence. Whereas some 'master'
teachers do 'tricks' that seem to be effective, but which do not last,
Miller's work is basic, and gives singers a strong platform from which to
work in the future.

Lynda Lacy, Soprano
Vocal Music, Hilton Head Preparatory School
Hilton Head Island, SC

"Let your voice serve the music, and not the other way around." - B. R.
Henson

emusic.com